So, how can you avoid the biggest video mistakes?
1. First, check your video settings under camera settings, choose either:
a. 4k at 24fps / 30 fps
b. 1080p HD at 30 fps
2. Ensure your camera is in the landscape position NOT portrait
3. It’s better to use the main camera on your phone – don’t put it in selfie mode, it will be better quality but might take you a few times to get it right if you are setting it up yourself
4. Frame yourself so that at least half your body is in shot – don’t be too close to the camera
This is an example of how to frame yourself for camera:
5. If possible, use a mobile tripod if you can get one, otherwise use what’s available to keep your phone stable
6. Pick a quiet place with no background noise and good lighting
7. Avoid direct sun and shadows
8. If possible, always have the light on your face not at the back of you – you don’t want the background to blowout
9. Speak louder than you usually do
10. Feel free to do a few variations of your answers
11. If you are doing an interview style video, keep your answers as short as you can with no more than 30-45sec responses. If you’re doing a How-to video this won’t necessarily apply.